Truth about things: Time Magazine

It gives me great happiness to announce that Time magazine is still giving people like me happy moments. When I go to my post and not see a brown envelope or some other culinary leaflet there it's awesome. Underneath the posted magazine is another story. So without further ado I will begin my post on The Truth about Time Magazine.


The staff have been a main focus in this post for the visual input of this post, well some of them. After-all between Google Static Maps America and Europe (Amsterdam) Time Inc employ's a lot of professional staff. I don't know how this would compare to something like The Sun Newspaper however I'm quite sure they'd blow away any Loch ness Monster post or the usual crazy UFO siting. These positions not only include writers and other CEO or SEO positions online they also have workers outside of journalism who work in the field of helping people. For example what I mean is Public Representatives and a reasonably sized Human resources team. Another interesting position I noticed in the roaster of the magazine (July 13th 2009) was a make up person. Obviously the staff the interviews and the special guests need to be spruced for the images of the magazine. What can be drawn from this introductory working structure of Time Magazine is that team work definitely gets results.


On another note which I won't drift into to much what with the truth about technological change it seems Time is managing to hold onto good communication skills, even though like everywhere else in the realms of Globalization and changes in the number of separate departments in company's today which I personally see being the main threat of wasting money but more importantly not delivering the true message, I believe Time has avoided these problems, however it would be interesting to here from some of the insiders within the company to actually find out how they have overcome these communication problems. Without going on to much about this point a good example is when companies within the civil servants here in Britain are ordered to Twitter up to 100 tweets a day as part of there job must be time consuming. I know for me Twittering and checking e-mails on my android and my computer is a full time job, put cooking breakfast and an evening meal like most single men that's the day done, right?


Back to Time magazine semioetic (Charles Sanders Peirce 1839 -1914) three way content I like the magazine because of the convenient size I can carry it onto the train and am not blogged down by the size or the chunky thickness. Its a slim mag which can be screwed up in your back pocket and whenever or wherever you read it, you get a smile. There's something very nostalgic about having this magazine. I have given out a few back copies that I've read and once they even sent me two copies in one week so I gave copies to some really groovy people. One friend is American and lives here in London. His mom lives in the keys and reading this American magazine very happy. He's been out of work for a little while and a few years ago his wife left him, after having a miscarriage. He said a week later that it was great but he did not think he was going to subscribe. What's interesting there is if he chooses spontaneously to buy the magazine in the shops it may cost him twice the price of what I'm getting on subscription. Another thing I like aside from the great front covers of the mag is the lexical set up. My favourite style is that calligraphy thing the monks used thousands of years ago in texts. Well Time doesn't go that over the top but they do make the first letter of most articles very big. Consistently I bet they have been doing this for years. I'm not to sure because I only subscribed this year.


So anyway lets cut to the chase the content of the magazine is often very stimulating whether it's coverage of some recent atrocity or disaster incurred from the weather, they always prop it up with some statistical sociological objectivity from all kinds of people. They do however also highlight the real people who are actively doing the real work in the world. I'm curious to know whether this objectivity is the same in the copies issued outside of Europe. Often as well what I have blogged about congruently the magazine has covered it that same week, which says I'm subscribed to the right magazine but more importantly as it covers so much of world news it's reach is awesome. The political views woven into this magazine if there are any are always something of concern from a point of view of someone outside of the media, however these people are just as subjective of neuro linguistic control from the common man never mind some upfront glossy groovy magazine.

In spite of all these concerns Time magazine delivers on many different levels. It's staff are very good at what they do which says to me it must be a good company to work for otherwise these contributors would not be within the Oligopoly that Time covers. In respect of this and I'll end on this Time Magazine is truthfully at the moment a reasonable and cool magazine to read. When I say cool I don't mean popular images of the high and mighty (although this has to happen) I say this in my own terminological sense which at the mo we all seem to be on a similar bandwagon, is that Reading Time magazine chills me out and props me up for a good day of serious reading, it's just a shame personally that those moments did happen more-so over summer hols, between semesters. Below is a video on happiness from Time Magazine interview. You can follow more shows my searching Google, there a couple of years old but very interesting to watch, as indeed many of the video's posted over on Time.com.

http://www.time.com/time/europe/magazine/masthead.html

Comments